Having been welcomed by God, we seek to welcome others in our neighborhood, in our community, and in our world. Empowered by God, we will act on human needs, witnessing to God’s healing love and justice.
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) grew out of two movements seeking Christian unity that sprang up almost simultaneously in western Pennsylvania and Kentucky – movements that were backlashes against the rigid denominationalism of the early 1800s.
Thomas and Alexander Campbell, a Presbyterian Scotch-Irish immigrant father and son in Pennsylvania, rebelled against the dogmatic sectarianism that kept members of different denominations – and even factions within the same denomination – from partaking of the Lord’s Supper together. Walter Scott, an immigrant from Scotland, was a successful evangelist of the resulting Campbell movement as it separated from the Baptists.
Barton W. Stone, a fifth-generation American in Kentucky and also a Presbyterian, objected to the use of creeds as tests of “fellowship” within the church, which were a cause of disunity, especially at the Lord’s table. He was a key participant in the Restoration Movement following the Cane Ridge Revival of 1801 near Paris, KY.
Our Local History
Central Christian's origins began on October 22, 1878 when several people met in a home for worship, with the first building erected at the corner of Middlebury and Monroe Streets, dedicated on January 19, 1879. After having sold the original building, on December 29, 1889 the group dedicated a new building on the corner of Franklin and Fremont Streets. By 1897 the congregation had outgrown this building and purchased a lot on a triangular lot of West Lexington, Vistula, and Fifth Streets for the new building, which lasted until they moved to their present location in 1925 on the corner of West Franklin and Fifth Streets. In 1952 they broke ground for their new sanctuary, complete with beautiful stained glass windows. In recent years the congregation built a new playground to welcome neighborhood children. When we sold our building in 2022, we began worshiping with our sister congregation in Mishawaka at First Christian Church.
The chalice symbolizes the central place of communion in worship for the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). The X-shaped cross of the disciple Andrew is a reminder of the ministry of each person and the importance of evangelism.
At the 2001 General Assembly, the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) adopted the 2020 Vision, which contained four priorities that will guide the Church through the first two decades of the 21st century.
The Four Priorities are: